Thursday, August 28, 2014

Biopsy went well...I even got to watch!

8.27.14
Jimmy's core biopsy is scheduled for this afternoon.  He is still in a lot of pain, so I drove him to the hospital to have it done even though he wanted to do it himself.  We got there and checked in and only waited a little while before they called us back.  Yes, I mean us!  They let me stay in the room when they did the biopsy.  I couldn't believe it.  I was glad though because it was really painful for Jimmy and I was able to hold his hand during the procedure.  I did have to keep reminding him that he was breaking my hand...haha.  The procedure was very interesting to watch though.  I was sitting right next to the doctor and I was able to watch the ultrasound  to look at the tumor and see how he guided the needles for both the anesthesia (local only) and the core sample.  Jimmy was pretty numbed up at the biopsy site (and would be for a couple of hours) but they gave him an ice pack for the ride home to help with his pain.

Now we just wait for the results.  At this point, it is merely a formality but once the results are in, Jimmy can start radiation.  The sooner it gets started, the quicker his pain will start to subside.  The radiation is expected to kill the tumor and the radiologist said the pain should go away within a few weeks after the start of radiation.

That day can't come soon enough for Jimmy, I know.

8.28.14
The night sweats are back again with a vengeance which means I'm back to washing pillows and sheets daily.  This makes it hard for both Jimmy and I to get good sleep at night.  He tosses and turns and I know he is uncomfortable, hot and in pain.  I wake up throughout the night just to see how he is doing. It makes for a very tiring next day for both of us.

Jimmy is sore and swollen, more so than usual because of the biopsy.  He just needs to lay down and rest because when he gets up that is when the pain starts.  The mornings are getting worse for him.  Right now, he feels the need to work  (we have a construction company) even though he doesn't feel like it.  I get that he wants to work while he can but I hate to see him in pain while he's doing it.

Today has been a better day emotionally for me.  I think I was just extremely anxious about the biopsy the last few days.  Several people have reached out to me the last couple of days and I really appreciate it.  Just being able to talk to people going through the same thing helps a lot.

I also want to thank my friends who have helped me with Logan this past week while Jimmy and I went to see the different doctors.  You have all been so kind and supportive.  I really hate asking for help from anyone because I always think I can do it myself.  I am learning that I can't do it all without help.  This past two years has shown me that.  I really means so much to know I have friends I can depend on.

Also, I have found that people don't know what to say when they find out that Jimmy's cancer is back. Some people actually say "I don't know what to say".  That's okay.  When I have run into friends and acquaintances recently, some have had that awkward silence when they first see me because they don't know what to say or are afraid to say something to me about Jimmy's cancer.  Its okay to bring it up.  Its okay to say something.  I really don't mind.  The more people that know and are thinking about it means that there is more of an opportunity to have people pray for complete healing for Jimmy.

I will update when we get the biopsy results and when radiation starts.

Thank you again to all of you for all of the prayers and support we have received from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment