Friday, May 31, 2013

A Rough Last Week of Chemo...

May 28, 2013 - Of course, the first day of the last chemo treatment has to be a tough one.  Waited 2 hours to get into a hospital room that was dirty...blood and urine stains on the floor and counter...yuck!  Since it took so long getting in the room, we were told that Jimmy could not get his PICC line for chemo since it was so late in the day...2:30 p.m.  The head nurse finally rectified the situation and got him in otherwise, he would have spent the night in the hospital for no reason.  Thank you Lisa!   Then, when I went to leave the hospital, I waiting 25 minutes for my car in valet (no one knew where it was) and I finally found out where it was and walked 3 blocks in the rain to get it...45 minutes later I was finally on my way home.  Get home and try to reach my son...he got picked up by a friend...over an hour later, still can't reach him.  Ugh.  Is this day over yet?

To add to the day, Jimmy told me that they botched his PICC insertion again.  I know this is a teaching hospital but both times they have let someone new do the procedure, it is so much more painful for Jimmy.   His arm is black and blue and is very sore.  Like he's not already going through enough...ugh.

May 29, 2013 - Today is a better day.  Jimmy is feeling okay and we even took a walk outside around the hospital. The grounds and gardens of our nation's first hospital are so beautiful.  There is so much history here.

They took some scans of his lungs today.  Results tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that they are clear. They will start chemo soon...only 3 more treatments left.

May 30, 2013 - This day began like any other day until the doctor came.  He told Jimmy that he reviewed the scans from his last CT about 2 months ago and the one they did yesterday.  He said there were some granulomas, which are inflammatory cells that form a lesion, in his lungs...no big deal here.  Then he said he saw 3 nodules.  They found nodules.  OMG!  This is where the sarcoma spreads...please God, let Jimmy be okay.  One nodule appeared to have already been there, since it was seen on both scans.  The other two were questionable.  This is not necessarily bad news yet but it certainly isn't good news.  He said they were small, and there was nothing that could be done right now.  We would have to wait 3 months to have another scan and then see what they looked like.  This sucks!  Just when we thought this was the last chemo treatment and Jimmy went into this week with a positive attitude, now this.  The waiting and not knowing is the hardest part.  At least if we knew what we were dealing with, then we could deal with it.  I hate that I had to leave Jimmy today in the hospital.  I hate it that he is by himself, especially after having a bad day.

Have I mentioned lately that I HATE CANCER!

On the bright side, after today, there is only 1 more chemo treatment left.  Hallelujah!  It has been a long 4 months.

May 31, 2013 - A new day...a better outlook.  The oncology nurse came in and talked to Jimmy this morning.  She reassured him about the nodules and told him not to worry.  We would just wait and see in 3 months.  That's all we can do...no dwelling on the negative...there is too much at stake.   We are keeping with the game plan...radiation will start as scheduled in a few weeks and then we will plan on surgery in September.

Jimmy is tired and ready to come home.  This is the first time I did not visit him in the hospital in the six weeks he has been in.  Our son had a field trip at school and I was a chaperon, so I stayed with Logan instead.  It was a fun time and I'm glad I went but I felt guilty nonetheless.

Finally, NO MORE CHEMO!!!

It has been a tough week but thankfully, chemo is over.  Praise God that Jimmy got through it.  I will pick him up tomorrow from the hospital and then Jimmy, Logan and I will have a few weeks off to enjoy the beginning of summer before radiation treatments start.

Thank you again for all of the prayers and kind words we have been getting from people all over the world.







No comments:

Post a Comment