Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17, 2013 - Round One Down

February 14 - Happy Valentine's Day.  I never thought I would ever have to say that my husband would have cancer but it is at a time like this when you realize how much you love someone.  I can't imagine life without Jimmy and I pray to God that He will make him well and whole again.





Jimmy called me this morning to tell me that the doctors thought he had a urinary tract infection and that there were a couple of other things going on.  I wanted to get to the hospital asap but Logan wanted to see his Dad for Valentine's Day.  It really meant a lot to him (even thought he would miss his class party), so I let him get out of school early.  Logan made Jimmy a card in the morning and I picked up a dozen balloons and some candy and off we went.  Logan was very excited to see his Dad and Jimmy was just as excited to see Logan.  Aside from the location, it seemed normal for all of us to be together.  Our Valentine's dinner included cafeteria burgers and fries and a heart-shaped box of candy for dessert.  It didn't matter what we ate or where we were, but that we were all together.  I could tell Jimmy was in better spirits during the visit and Logan seemed more at ease after he saw Jimmy (he was relieved that Daddy still looks like himself)...very comforting to see.

February 15 - I got to the hospital early and wanted to spend the entire day just in case something else came up.  Today is the last chemo treatment for this round.  Jimmy is feeling nauseous this morning and is very tired.  This seems to be getting worse as the days go on.  His leg seems to hurt more every time he gets up too.

The oncology nurse came before I even got there and gave Jimmy all of his medication to take home and continue to take until the next treatment...11 different ones every day, some more than once.  It is overwhelming in both volume and cost.  Thankfully, the doctor gave us the first dose of the most important medicine that has to be taken after chemo ends...it costs $3,600.

I am exhausted and stressed beyond belief.  I just want this to work and to be able to get through it with a positive result for Jimmy.  It is really hard to see him in a hospital bed every day getting weaker and constantly in pain.

I decided to spend the night at the hospital since the doctors anticipated Jimmy going home the next day and so I wouldn't have to go back and forth again. We just talked and watched television all day.  It was nice to just be together but Jimmy seemed a little agitated today.  I'm guessing it was anxiety about just wanting to get the chemo treatment over coupled with the fact that he hates being sick.  During the treatment, (which is 3 hours for the one medicine) the medicine didn't want to drip properly into the PICC and instead of 3 hours it took almost 4 to finish.

February 16 - It is Saturday and the day Jimmy gets to go home.  Thank goodness.  It was a long night in a very uncomfortable cot but I got to be with Jimmy all night and I was getting to take him home...finally.  This was another long week.  Poor Logan got shuffled around all week and I know he will be happy to just be at home.  Even the dog acted weird all week.

The doctor came in and told us that the results of the urinary tract infection test were negative.  A little good news...we'll take any we can get at this point.  He also told us that all of Jimmy's blood counts were still normal but that we should expect them to drop dramatically as the week went on. Jimmy was very tired but ready to go home.

For those of you who have asked about visiting, Jimmy isn't really up to visitors just yet.   He just wants to relax and try to feel better right now. We want to thank everyone for all of the kind well wishes and prayers, and those of you who have dropped off food and goodies. It really means a lot to all of us.

Jimmy spent the rest of the weekend in bed.  He was still very nauseous and tired.  He is pale and continues to lose weight.  The hair loss should start in the next 10 days or so.  Even though round one of the chemo treatment is finished, his body is still dealing with the consequences.  He says he is having weird, nightmarish dreams at night too.  It feels like we are on a runaway train...I wish I could do something, anything to make it stop.

The bills have started coming in too...$10,000 worth of bills before the chemo treatment ever started...ugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment