Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February 13, 2013 - 1st chemo treatment

NOTE:  I am writing every few days so some info will be in past tense and other will be in present tense.  I wish I could write every day but so far I just haven't had the time.

We did have a nice weekend...we even took Logan and a friend bowling.  Jimmy came along and watched and it was nice for all of us to get out and do something even if Jimmy wasn't able to participate in the actual activity.

Monday came and we were headed to the hospital.  We got a call that morning saying a bed was ready for Jimmy and that we could come anytime.  We got to the hospital around 11 am and went to registration.  They told us to have a seat and they would be with us soon.  We waited and waited...for 2 hours...and I finally went back up to the desk.  They said a bed wasn't ready but they called to check and...lo and behold, it had been ready the whole time...ugh!  By the time he got to his room and was settled, it was about 1:30 p.m.  Of course, by this time, it was too late to get his PICC line and start chemo.  Basically, he stayed overnight in the hospital when he didn't even have to be there.  Oh well, just one more bump in the road, right?.

Tuesday, February 12 - 1st chemo treatment.  Jimmy got his PICC line put in early in the morning.  We were very nervous about his first treatment...mostly because we didn't know what to expect. There is about 45 minutes of  "prep" drugs before the chemo even starts. Then, the first chemo drug starts...it is bright red and the nurse pushes it through the PICC in just a couple of minutes.  He said he could taste it and feel it going through his chest, into his heart and start traveling through his body.  The second chemo drug takes about 3 hours.  His treatment started about noon and he was finished by 4:30.  He felt a little lightheaded most of the day but I think it was from not eating.  We also spoke to a social worker about a lot of different things and I feel so overwhelmed with all of the information we have been given.  All in all, it was a good first day...even with Jimmy taking about 10 or 11 different medications.

It is Wednesday morning and I'm trying to get to the hospital early so I can bring Jimmy his Starbucks Venti Bold.  He said it makes him still feel normal.  They tell us that chemo may change his taste buds and that things won't taste the same...I can't imagine the day when Starbucks coffee won't taste good to him.

He is feeling a little nauseous this morning and isn't very hungry.  He did have a little something for breakfast but by lunch time he hardly ate a thing.  Jimmy's Dad came for a visit and I was able to leave a little early so that I could come home and spend some time with Logan.  I hate having to ask people to watch him for me.  It seems like he's been shuffled all over the place this week.  Poor kid.  He really misses his Dad but we Skype Jimmy every night so Logan can "see" him and talk to him.  Logan and I did have a fun night...we even had "breakfast" for dinner...blueberry pancakes...yum.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and my Honey is in the hospital.  This sucks.  I hate cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment